Sunday, March 27, 2011

The photo is the Bruce Peninsula in Lake Huron. I took this picture and liked it so much that I asked my publisher to use it on the cover of my book, The Dynamic Great Lakes. The Bruce Peninsula in Ontario is similar to the Door Peninsula in Wisconsin. Thousands of years ago, these limestone fingers of land were joined. They are part of the Niagara escarpment. Limestone underlies much of the Great Lakes basin. It was built during the time when much of North America was covered by saltwater seas.

The Bruce Peninsula is built of limestone and there are beautiful hiking trails where rare flowers may be found. I visited in fall and collected a basket full of mushrooms. I thought their shapes and colors were so beautiful that I took them home with me to paint. Unfortunately, the mushrooms didn't last very long, so I never did paint them. Sigh.

Pictured is a rock formation on Lake Huron called an alvar.

No comments:

Post a Comment